User Review( votes)
Red cooked chicken
Red cooked chicken is typical of the lower Yangtze.
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup Chinese rice wine
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 inch cube peeled fresh ginger, smashed
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 4 inch long pieces Asian dried tangerine peel
- 4 whole star anise (1 tablespoon) (can be found in Asian Markets)
- 2 bunches scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces (4 cups)
- 3 1/2 lb Chinese organic chicken
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- A pinch of salt
Bring water to boil into a pot and then add soy sauce, rice wine, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, tangerine peel, star anise and 2 cups of scalions. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Add chicken, cover and let it simmer (turning once or twice) until just cooked (about 1 hour).
Once cooked, remove the chicken from the pot to a new one pot and brush it with sesame oil. Let it keep warm, covered with foil.
Pour cooking liquid through a sieve into a large bowl, discarding solids.
Skim fat from surface and reserve 1 cup cooking liquid. (Cool remainder, uncovered, then freeze.)
In a skillet of pan, heat vegetable oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then stir and add the remaining 2 cups of scallions with salt, stirring frequently, 3 to 5 minutes.
Add reserved cooking liquid and boil until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Cut chicken at your desire and serve with sauce.